Skip to main content

Sheena Liam

Artist Sheena Liam has a one-of-a-kind, handcrafted approach to embroidery. Favouring female subjects, with a focus on flowing hairstyles, Liam creates unique portraits of women and girls with thread tresses that cascade from the canvas.
Each portrait is created using black thread, culminating in a collection of works reminiscent of simple yet exquisitely rendered line drawings. While the majority of each embroidered image lays flat, the subject's hair falls loosely from her face, adding a touch of three-dimensionality to an otherwise uniform surface. Thanks to the thread's versatility, Liam is able to experiment with a range of hairstyles, from perfectly coiffed braided pigtails to loosely tied top-knots.



   



As a nod to the traditional craft, Liam uses an embroidery hoop to complete each inventive piece. In some cases, the figures' hair even extends beyond the frame, conveying the artist's tendency to challenge the boundaries and limitations of the conventional craft.

I really like how the artist creates the hair realistically and I like how it comes of the page like graceful dangling hair and the rest of the piece remains 2D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ana Teresa Barboza

Ana Teresa Barboza´s characteristic use of crafts such as patchwork, knitting or embroidery combined with other media on her artistic work, bestow a poetic quality to depictions of plants and their growth – which defy our serial and industrialized times. Since she graduated from the Art Faculty of the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú , Barboza´s use of manual crafts became the means to convey a meditative and powerful observation with the environment and her relationship with reality. Her laborious use of traditionally feminine handicraft has become her trademark, where her interest was centered initially on depictions of herself and the relationship with her body and in Animales Familiares  on the liaison of herself and her relation with others by the use of animal metaphors. Through photographs the artist recently has registered spaces she inhabited for long periods of time. With this technique, her experiences were depicted in an image; printed on paper as foot...

Izziyana Suhaimi

Singapore-based artist Izziyana Suhaimi introduces embroidered accents to her carefully rendered pencil and watercolor illustrations. Patterns of flowers unfold much like a tapestry across the paper canvas creating pieces she refers to as “evidence of the hand and of time.” For her series The Looms in Our Bones Suhaimi focuses mostly on fashion acessories where scarves, hats, and other clothing is depicted in thread, while she also uses the same techniques for more abstract shapes and designs . From her artist statement: " Embroidery for me is a quiet and still act, where each stitch represents a moment passed. The building of stitches then becomes a re presentation of time passing and the final work is like a physical manifestation of time – a time object. Each stitch is also a recording of the maker’s thoughts and emotions. I enjoy the duality of embroidery, in its movements of stabbing, cutting, covering, building, repairing, taking apart. Every stitch made see...

Mini Degree Show:Exhibtion

        For this project, I decided to carry on with the "fail" project and looked more carefully in to the word fail. I carried on with the technique I was using with in the fail project looking at patchy memories and tangled thoughts and emotion. I really enjoyed this project because I worked in the way I like to work with all materials spread out around me and producing work at quiet a fast pace.   For my final piece for this project, I decided to work with thread, emulation, acrylic and charcoal on a big piece of calico. I took this piece out of my A6 sketchbook and increased the size by 20x roughly. I didn't really think about time when I was doing this piece because I was just having fun with it and getting carried away until it came to making the thread thicker which ended up taking about 5 rolls of black thread because I wanted to make the piece similar to the piece in my book.   The task...