Skip to main content

Ryan Gander

Ryan Gander is an artist whose work ranges from installations, sculptures and photographs to performative lectures, publications, inventions and interventions. Gander examines the conditions of art production and the cognitive process of the perception of art. His body of works forms a labyrinth of inter-related narratives often based
on real incidents or characters or existing artworks. 'Absence' plays a central role in Gander's work and lends the works an enigmatic aura. It invites the viewer to re-establish a story's hidden character or object's possible function and by that illuminates the process of making meaning of a work of art.

I really like how this guy presents his work and is very determined and doesn't let his disability stop him from doing what he enjoys. I also like his work, its simple but has got so much behind the work.  For example :
 

 This piece is called "Robbed us with the sight of what we should have known (2005)". This work is an installation consisting of three major elements. The first is a set of cork panels that are displayed on a wall in a large rectangular composition.The cork panels were originally installed as a pin board in the Ganders studio, and are imprinted with the sun-bleached outlines of the documents, notes, photographs and other research materials that were once pinned to them. as part of this installation the panels are re-organised into a random arrangement so that the outlines appear as a pattern of fragmented shapes. The second element of the work is a stack of newspapers. The page on top of the stack shows a crossword puzzle created by the Gander, the clues for which lead to the construction of the word ‘mitim’. This word was invented by Gander and is a palindrome – a word consisting of a sequence of letters that reads the same forwards as it does in reverse.  The third component of the installation is a photograph of a council estate in Hackney, London. In the foreground of the photograph is a milestone or stumbling block that Gander made from remixed concrete using debris from famous modernist structures that had begun to fall into disrepair, including Ernö Goldfinger’s Trellick Tower in Kensington and Berthold Lubetkin’s Penguin Pool at London Zoo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ana Teresa Barboza

Ana Teresa Barboza´s characteristic use of crafts such as patchwork, knitting or embroidery combined with other media on her artistic work, bestow a poetic quality to depictions of plants and their growth – which defy our serial and industrialized times. Since she graduated from the Art Faculty of the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú , Barboza´s use of manual crafts became the means to convey a meditative and powerful observation with the environment and her relationship with reality. Her laborious use of traditionally feminine handicraft has become her trademark, where her interest was centered initially on depictions of herself and the relationship with her body and in Animales Familiares  on the liaison of herself and her relation with others by the use of animal metaphors. Through photographs the artist recently has registered spaces she inhabited for long periods of time. With this technique, her experiences were depicted in an image; printed on paper as foot...

Izziyana Suhaimi

Singapore-based artist Izziyana Suhaimi introduces embroidered accents to her carefully rendered pencil and watercolor illustrations. Patterns of flowers unfold much like a tapestry across the paper canvas creating pieces she refers to as “evidence of the hand and of time.” For her series The Looms in Our Bones Suhaimi focuses mostly on fashion acessories where scarves, hats, and other clothing is depicted in thread, while she also uses the same techniques for more abstract shapes and designs . From her artist statement: " Embroidery for me is a quiet and still act, where each stitch represents a moment passed. The building of stitches then becomes a re presentation of time passing and the final work is like a physical manifestation of time – a time object. Each stitch is also a recording of the maker’s thoughts and emotions. I enjoy the duality of embroidery, in its movements of stabbing, cutting, covering, building, repairing, taking apart. Every stitch made see...

Mini Degree Show:Exhibtion

        For this project, I decided to carry on with the "fail" project and looked more carefully in to the word fail. I carried on with the technique I was using with in the fail project looking at patchy memories and tangled thoughts and emotion. I really enjoyed this project because I worked in the way I like to work with all materials spread out around me and producing work at quiet a fast pace.   For my final piece for this project, I decided to work with thread, emulation, acrylic and charcoal on a big piece of calico. I took this piece out of my A6 sketchbook and increased the size by 20x roughly. I didn't really think about time when I was doing this piece because I was just having fun with it and getting carried away until it came to making the thread thicker which ended up taking about 5 rolls of black thread because I wanted to make the piece similar to the piece in my book.   The task...